Contract Position – NSFM Market Manager
Apr 1, 2023 – Oct 31, 2023
The North Saanich Food for the Future Society’s (NSFFS) mandate to support local growers includes the staging of the popular, weekly Farm Market.
The Farm Market Manager will be responsible to the NSFFS Board of Directors (The Board) assisting with the smooth operation of the weekly markets currently held in North Saanich for the period June 3, 2023 to October 7, 2023 at the rate of $20.00 per hour, with prep and organization starting on or around April 1, 2023, and wrap-up on or around October 31, 2023.
The Farm Market Manager will be assigned to:
- Solicit new growers and processors with an emphasis on organic practices and regenerative growing;
- Oversee the smooth running of each market day – market set up and signage, vendor and community relations, music support, market take down.
- Liaise with all vendors and assist The Board with identifying gaps in produce and fruit available so that they can plan/plant in advance accordingly.
- Maintain a working knowledge of VIHA (Vancouver Island Health Authority) and BCAFM (BC Assn of Farmers Markets) rules and regulations.
- Assist food producers by providing the contact information to obtain the necessary VIHA permits.
- Welcome and connect with market patrons.
- Identify volunteer needs in advance in advance of each market day
- Care for and note equipment maintenance and wear, and alert The Board to possible equipment replacement needs as they arise.
- Weekly record keeping of vendors in attendance and collection of fees paid.
- Communicate updates, policy notices and news for the vending community on a regular basis by e-mail.
- Coordinate the weekly Mail Chimp newsletter to our customer email list.
- Monitoring of market email account and coordination with The Board chair regarding follow up/action requirements.
- Retrieve and forward to The Board any vendor phone, email and mail messages or correspondence, as necessary.
- Assist with organizing the Vendor and Volunteer Appreciation Event.
- Other duties as assigned by the NSFFS Board.
- This is a part time position. The successful applicant can expect to work a couple of hours a week during the lead up to the market, and 9 to 10 hours a week during the farm market season.
- Excellent communication and computer skills
- Knowledge of FOODSAFE and/or the Food Handlers Training Course as well as VIHA’s Food Premises Regulation
- Experience in social media and newsletter writing an asset.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to send their cover letter and resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The closing date for this application is March 30, 2023.
- We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.