Conchiglie al Cavolo Nero
Seashell Pasta with Lacinato Kale
A rich, spicy pasta that uses Black (or Lacinato) kale, garlic and chilies. Kale is a most versatile, healthy and winter-growing green, and local garlic is available all winter long! This is a recipe forwarded by a loyal market customer!
- 2 lb cavolo nero (black kale aka lacinato kale)
- 1 1⁄4c heavy cream
- 7 garlic cloves
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 dried chilies (depending on how hot you like it), crumbled
- 1⁄2 c parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 250 g conchiglie (seashell) or other pasta
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Remove the tough central stalk from each leaf, and cut into three or four pieces.
- Blanch in boiling salted water for a few minutes only, until tender and bright green.
- Drain and dry.
- Put the heavy cream and 5 whole garlic cloves into a pan and simmer until the garlic is soft.
- Puree in a blender.
- In a separate pan, heat the olive oil and fry the remaining garlic, cut into thin slices, and the chilli. When the garlic has coloured, add the blanched cavolo nero (kale), stir and season. Pour in the cream and garlic puree, bring to the boil and cook for 5 mins until the kale is coated and the sauce has thickened. Add the parmesan.
- Cook the pasta in a generous amount of boiling salted water, then drain thoroughly. Add to the sauce and mix well. (serves 6)
- Bon appetit!